Sunday, March 24, 2013

RACE #2: RECAP!

"YOUR TOUGHEST OPPONENT IS IN THE MIRROR."
-anonymous

 Growing up people always told me that the best athletes, dancers, and artists are the biggest head cases of them all. I would laugh it off and think "no, it's JUST me." But I've come to realize how true this statement is. My raceblock kept me from running; I psyched myself out and competed with the me in the mirror. I feel like, as a runner, it's so easy to get stuck in our heads and those who are super competitive- not just with ourselves but with others... but mostly with ourselves-- get the worst of it.  If I had a quarter for every time I talked myself out of training runs and then with the 8 years I didn't race or run regularly... I could have easily paid for any of the #RunDisney events; probably two. And the flights to get there. 


So what does this have to do with my St. Patricks Day race? Well. Everything. Not only did I have to have others talk me into registering for the race AFTER I was asked to join a team of seriously legit runners, but even leading up to the morning of, I was struggling.  The awesome people I have in my life kept reminding me that I was asked to be part of that team because they wanted me to run with them, they had confidence in me, they chose me.

This race wasn't the most competitive race (for my team)-- we kind of won the entire Relay Marathon by 25 minutes or something along those lines-- but I was still so competitive with myself and couldn't get the positive thoughts to stick. I really didn't want to let myself or others down-- the standards I hold myself to are a little ridiculous--and I was being silly by stressing over the dumbest things. The biggest worry was about my knee locking up and my feet struggling even though I knew that KT Tape was my answer for that. Yes, KT Tape. I can honestly say that without KT Tape, I wouldn't be where I am with my running. 
KT Taping! 

Raceday:
The drive to the park was probably the worst. I wanted to cry. And I did. Tears fell as I was driving. I have no idea why. I just did. I was a head case. And almost turned my car around. But I didn't. I parked. H happened to arrive around the time that one of my teammates had. I got my stuff out of the trunk walked over the bridge. Picked up my race packet. And started the last bit of my race prep.

The Race: 
My knee was taped.
My feet and toes were taped. 
My bib was on.
My shoes were laced.
My legs were warmed up. 
I was ready to go.

The 1st Runner of my team! In his baller hat.. 

I was set to run the 3rd leg of the relay. 
The format of the race had the first lap at 1.75 miles and the following 3 were 1.6 miles. 
Splits?
Lap #1: 11:58:8
Lap #2: 11:11:1
Lap #3: 11:31:5
Lap #4: 11:33:7

So about that. 
Halfway through the first lap I relaxed.
I realized I was passing everyone and no one was lapping me. 
Kind of an awesome feeling. It was definitely the boost I needed. 




Unfortunately, a friend of mine was going to join me at the race but wasn't able to but I still received constant texts reminding me to relax, have fun, stretch, stay loose, hydrate, etc. all the things I actually ALWAYS forget to do. 

Second lap? Still passing people. Third lap? Still no passing... Fourth? Not a single person on our team was "lapped" during the entire race. We had a blast! Yeah, ok... most people at the race were just hanging out, running/walking their lap... but we had fun killing ours! Racing puts together what we do every day of the week. As one of my teammates put it races are our tests. We study and prepare throughout the week for our tests. Races are our tests. We put into our races as much as we prepared. And then we ace them.

Baton Exchange Priorities: Star/Stop Nike+ Watches... 
The cool thing about the format of this race is that it felt like a swimmeet to me. Something that I grew up doing. You do your event. Take a break and wait for the next one to come up. Just like this race. I think it was during the first lap when I realized how similar this race was to a swimmeet, which also helped me relax because swimmeets are normal to me. AND! My knee didn't lock up until the final lap and my feet didn't give me any trouble! (Thanks KT Tape!)

 Hopefully I'll be around Charlotte next year to run the race with those guys again! If we break our own record, there's apparently be a cash prize involved.... OBVIOUSLY I'm down! 
MY TEAM! Run For Your Life! 

Now to plan my next races! I might have a trail 5k coming up next weekend! It's a small race. Looks like it will only have about 200 participants but should be a good time! I won't be going for a PR but I plan to turn it up..


INFO: The race was the ShamRockin' Relay put on by Trivium Racing (it's their first year and you should absolutely check out their races! They also have a Glow in the Park 5k race series!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment